Cymraeg |  BSL | Jump to content |  Text Only |  Change font size  A A A

Register to Vote 

are you registered to vote?

To vote in the elections you need to be on the electoral register.

The Electoral Registration form collects the information we need to publish a revised register, which we do every year.

If you do not respond to this form you may not appear on the revised register and you might lose your right to vote. Registering for other services or paying Council Tax does not register you to vote.

You are required by law to give the information asked for in this form.

Please respond as soon as possible to avoid us having to send a reminder form or visit you at home. If you would like more information, our contact details are at the bottom of this page.

Who can register to vote?

You must be 18 or older to vote. You can register to vote when you are 16. Please provide the details of any 16 and 17 year olds in the property. Make sure you include their date of birth so that they can vote as soon as they are 18.

People can register only for the address where they are resident. You should include:

  • People who are temporarily away – for example, away working, on holiday, in student accommodation or in hospital.
  • Any other residents, lodgers or guests (but not short stay visitors) at your address.

People who are entitled to register to vote:

  • British citizens
  • Citizens of the Irish Republic
  • Citizens of other European Union countries. EU citizens will be registered as local government electors only, (except citizens of Cyprus, Malta, or the Irish Republic, who can vote in all elections).
  • Qualifying Commonwealth citizens (Commonwealth citizens who have leave to enter or remain in the UK; or do not require such leave).

Details of people at this address
For each person, you need to include:

  • Name: Surname, first name and middle initial(s).
  • Nationality: This will usually be as shown on the person’s passport.
  • Whether the person will be 70 or over on 10 March 2014. If so, they will be exempt from jury service.
  • Whether the person wants to opt out of the edited register – see details below.
  • Whether the person wants a postal vote application form. You do not need to tick this box if the person is already a postal voter.

What are the 'full' and 'edited' registers?
The full register lists the name and address of everyone who is registered to vote. The council holds a copy. Anyone can look at it, but it is a criminal offence to supply or use copies for purposes other than those set down in law. More information is available at About My Vote.

The main use of the full register is to show who can vote in elections and referendums. Credit reference agencies can use it, but only to check your name and address if you are applying for credit and for other purposes specified in law. It can also be used for law enforcement.

The edited register is available for general sale and can be used for any purpose. The edited register can be bought by any person, company or organisation and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing.

If you want to opt out of having your details appear on the edited register, please tick the ‘Edited Register’ box. You must also ask each person named on the form if they want to opt out of the edited register. A pre-printed tick in Column A.iv will tell you the choice made by electors last year, and this will apply to the new Register unless deleted by each registered person.

What if I am moving house after I complete a form?
If you are moving from this address, complete and send back the form when you receive it, however as soon as you move, contact the helpline so that we can send you a registration form to complete for your new address.

Inspection of the Full Electoral Register

The full register is open for free of charge inspection by the general public under strict supervision. The Electoral Services Office holds the right to request identification from the viewer as well as ask for which purpose they require the information. The law forbids anyone from taking copies of all or part of the Register, but hand-notes are allowed.

Sale of the Edited Register

The edited register, in whole or in part, is available for purchase by anyone requesting a copy, and it can be used for any lawful reason, including direct marketing. Information can be supplied for the County or per ward, in either data (CSV file) or printed formats.

The Statutory charges for the sale of the electoral register are calculated using the following formula:

  • Data format - £20 admin fee + (£1.50 x 1000 entries/or part)
  • Paper format - £10 admin fee + (£5 x 1000 entries/or part)

The current edited register contains 93475, approximately 34% of the full register.

Opting out-for the duration of the current register

You can choose to be excluded from the edited register by ticking the appropriate box on your registration form. You must make your choice clear every year on your annual canvass form, even if you have opted out before. You can do this by ticking the box on the paper form, or by selecting this option when responding by telephone or internet. You must ask each person named on the form if they want their details to appear on the edited register.

Opting out –permanently

Under data protection legislation electors have the right to require the Electoral Registration Officers to exclude them from the edited register at their current address on a permanent basis or until further notice. If you do not want your information to be purchased by any person or company or used for any purpose other than voting, you will need to provide the Electoral Registration Officer with notice to that effect. You can do this using one of the following options:-

  • Write on the registration form clearly requesting that your details are excluded from the edited register on a permanent basis or until further notice. Because opting out cannot be completed by one person on behalf of the household it is recommended that each person within the household sign to confirm the request.
  • Each individual within the household to either write or email separately to the Electoral Registration Officer requesting that their details are excluded from the edited register on a permanent basis or until further notice.

Certificates of residence

This is a letter headed and stamped by the Council, which confirms that the name of an elector appears on the electoral register at a given address. This letter is typically requested in connection with opening of bank accounts, requests for credit, job references and/or personal records.

When deciding to obtain the certificate you are advised to contact the Electoral Services Office to confirm that you are registered on the Electoral Register. All requests for certificates must be made in writing.

How to get in touch with us:
Electoral Registration
1 Spilman Street
SA31 1LE

Helpline: 01267 228889


The Electoral Commission
Companies House, Crown Way, Cardiff, CF14 3UZ

Tel: 029 2034 6800
Fax:029 2038 0996

One Voice Wales
24 College Street, Ammanford, SA18 3AF
Tel: 01269 595400
Fax: 01269 598510

Page last updated on 01/4/2014