The Ammanford Regeneration Programme brings together an ambitious programme of investment of over £6.5 million to regenerate and revitalise Ammanford Town Centre over the next three years, combining funding from the County Council, Welsh Assembly Government and the private sector. The regeneration proposals will underpin and build upon the town’s important position as a primary local service centre which serves the Amman Valley and wider hinterlands.
Ammanford is an important town within the context of Carmarthenshire and the south west sub region with a range of higher order services and facilities, including further education, a secondary school, primary healthcare, regional employment, a retail centre and a wide range of recreational facilities. This programme of investment will deliver an enhanced town centre experience for the Amman Valley communities as a whole as well as visitors, increasing the prosperity of the area and making a substantial contribution to its economic growth. The programme of works aims to be flexible, responding to market demand and potential private sector led proposals. Investment within Ammanford Town Centre is a key element of the Amman Valley Regeneration and will assist to sustain its role as a strategic town within the Western Valleys.
• Quay Street South – creation of a Market Square
• Traffic improvements at key junctions
• Environmental enhancements at Arcade Square, Margaret Street, Ammanford Distributor Road and Quay Street
• Town Improvement Grants to encourage private sector investment in key town centre buildings
• Helping town centre businesses via town centre management and business support initiatives
• Additional car parking provision at Foundry Row
• Work with owners and developers to bring forward development on the key derelict sites within the town
• Improvements to Pedestrian and Cycle links in order to increase connectivity and movement in the town, in particular links to green spaces and Riverside walkway
A Town Improvement Grant scheme has been launched to encourage town centre property owners to improve the external visible elements of their commercial property frontages. Grants could be up to 75% of the cost of eligible works which will include new shop fronts and upper windows, rendering, painting, rainwater goods and signage. To find out more click here
Carmarthenshire County Council is committing its own resources to the town centre regeneration as well as seeking to secure external funding from various sources including the Western Valleys Regeneration Area and attracting private sector investment to deliver the overall programme.
For more information regarding the regeneration of Ammanford Town Centre please contact Cath Jones on 01554 742180 or CJones@carmarthenshire.gov.uk