If a business makes, prepares of handles food of animal origin for supply to other businesses, then the food business and its activities in most circumstances must be approved by Carmarthenshire County Council Food Safety Team.
Food of animal origin includes:
• Meat and poultry – whether fresh, frozen or cooked
• Meat products
• Raw or partially cooked minced meat or meat preparations
• Fish and fish products – whether dead or alive
• Live bivalve molluscs
• Ready meals containing fish or meat
• Milk and dairy products
• Rendered animal fats and other animal by-products
Food businesses must not commence any business activity which requires approval, unless they have received conditional or full approval for the proposed activity from the Food Safety Team. To commence business without approval is an offence for which the business is likely to be prosecuted.
To obtain approval you will need to submit a written request to the Food Safety Team at the address stated below. You must not operate your business until approval is granted.
For further information or to request approval please contact:
Social Care, Health & Housing Department
3 Spilman Street