Cymraeg |  BSL | Jump to content |  Text Only |  Change font size  A A A
Page last updated on 30/6/2011
Dual Drivers Licence 

You cannot drive a licenced hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle until you have been issued with a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Driver's Licence from the Council.

 Application for Dual Drivers Licence.doc (712 KB)

 Dual Drivers Licence Conditions.doc (48 KB)

Help with Downloads 

Will criminal or driving convictions affect an application ?

A Criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from gaining a licence unless the Council considers that you are not a fit and proper person to hold such a licence. Guidelines relating to the relevance of convictions are available to download in the right hand menu.

Applicants for Dual Drivers Licences must disclose ALL convictions and cautions to the Council when applying for a licence, as the occupation is exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Some applications including those that reveal convictions which would not be spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act or serious convictions which in the opinion of the Head of Public Protection may render the applicant unfit to hold a drivers licence, will be referred to the Council's Licensing Committee for determination.

Applicants with convictions are advised to contact the Licensing Section prior to submitting an application.

 HCPH Policy in respect of Relevant Convictions.pdf (77 kB)

To view the PDFs on this site you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

How can I make an application to become a hackney carriage driver ?

An initial application must be made in person to one of the customer service centres. You will need to provide the following items:

  • 2 Passport Photographs (applicant must not be under 21 years of age or older than 70 years of age).
  • Application Form with all sections completed (please refer to the HCPH Policy in respect of Relevant Convictions
  • HCPH Policy in Respect of Criminal Convictions 
  • A Council Medical Certificate completed by your own G.P.
  • Completed Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure Application Form and supporting documentation.
  • Disclosure application forms can only be obtained from either the Customer Service Centre or Licensing Section.
  • Current Clean driving Licence (must have held licence for 2years).
  • Application Fee.