We offer a range of benefits and working arrangements to support employees in their working and personal life, including:
- A discount leisure scheme in Leisure Centres across the county
- An Occupational Health Service offering health and lifestyle screening, counselling and other support.
- A Child Care Voucher Scheme
- A range of flexible working arrangements including a flexi-time scheme, special leave arrangements, job sharing, home working (currently being piloted)
- A Flexible Retirement Scheme
- Development opportunities
Whilst we may ask for certain qualifications and experience for some of our jobs, we are committed to supporting employees to develop their skills.
Some of the ways in which we do this are:
- Regular appraisals and personal development plans
- Training courses
- E Learning
- Modern Apprenticeships
Joining the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is one of the best ways to plan for your retirement, as it has an excellent range of benefits, that includes:
- A guaranteed index linked income payable for your lifetime from your retirement.
- Added Life Cover from day one, as a tax-free death grant equal to 3 times your assumed pensionable pay is payable in accordance with your expression of wish, if you were to die while an active member of the scheme, and unlike other forms of life assurance, there’s no medical examination.
- Survivor Benefits; payable to a spouse, registered civil partner or eligible co-habiting partner and any eligible children you may have, in the event of your death.
- An option to convert pension to tax-free cash when you retire. For every £1 of pension that you give up you will receive £12 tax free cash (subject to certain HMRC limits).
- A reduction in the amount of tax you pay, as contributions are taken from your gross pay before the deduction of income tax.
- A reduction in the amount of National Insurance you pay, as you are contracted out of the State Second Pension (S2P) as a member of the LGPS.
- Your Employer making a substantial contribution to funding your retirement, something that they would be unlikely to do with any other personal arrangement.
- No administrative fees being payable, as there may be with a personal pension; you simply pay a percentage of your pay.
- No investment risk as the LGPS is a defined benefit scheme that’s regulated by statute, therefore you will get a guaranteed level of benefits when you retire.
- Ill-health protection; if you were to become ill and unable to work your benefits may come into payment, and may also be enhanced (subject to a medical examination by the Fund Doctor).
- Flexibility to retire from age 55 to 75.
- An option to increase your benefits by purchasing additional pension or investing in Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVC).
A minimum of 26 days holidays plus 8 bank holidays per year are provided. Holidays for part time employees are calculated on a pro-rata basis.
Maternity Leave & Pay
We provide an enhanced maternity scheme to employees who qualify.
Paternity & Pay
Partners (who qualify) are supported at the birth of a baby with leave and pay.